Recently Phase One released Capture One 9.1 – the first major update to a ninth version of Capture One.
Like all the 9.x updates it’s free and is highly recommended to install due to improved stability and mass of bugfixes.
Besides bugfixes, Capture One 9.1 also delivers some interesting new features and updates.
Let’s find out what’s new in Capture One 9.1.
Capture One 9.1 has got a few under-the-hood improvements, which are visually unnoticeable, but provide a better and more stable working experience.
First of all, Library tool for Mac has been seriously refactored to give a more robust and dynamic performance. An issue with filtering in smart albums and a number of other bugs were also fixed.
Second important update – Canon SDK software has been replaced with a modern PTP driver developed by Phase One.
There are no visual differences; everything works as it was before. Nevertheless, a new PTP driver should significantly improve stability and performance of tethered shooting with Canon cameras. It also adds some new features like a rotational Live View, which were limited by the old SDK.
Saturation and Lightness Uniformity for Color Editor Skin Tone
Uniformity is a great tool to process a detailed color correction of skin tone.
With Uniformity slider, you can easily adjust a clear and smooth skin tone for your model.
However in previous versions of Capture One only Hue Uniformity was available, which in some cases was not quite enough.
In Capture One 9.1 Skin Tone Tab was redisigned and we’ve got two new Uniformity sliders: Saturation and Lightness.
They work exactly as Hue Uniformity in Capture One 9:
First, you need to pick a color and by using sliders you may even out saturation and lightness of the selected area closer to the picked point.
After I beta-tested Capture One 9.1, I can say that Saturation Uniformity significantly improves color correction possibilities.
Lightness Uniformity is also a nice tool, but it’s suitable only for some particular images.
In Capture One 9.1, you’ll also find a few handy shortcut updates.
Keyboard Shortcuts Editor was slightly redesigned and became more convenient.
If you are not familiar with hotkeys features, take a look at our Guide to Capture One Shortcuts.
And we’ve got a few new shortcuts available:
- Shortcuts for Reset Counters
- Shortcuts for Fill/Invert Mask
- Shortcuts for Change/Cycle Layers
- Shortcuts for “Create albums from..”
- Shortcuts for “Select by same…”
- Shortcuts for “Select by…” – to quickly select images by rating or color tag. By the way, “Edit–>Select by…” option has also been returned to the workflow.
Output keyword restrictions
Now we can choose, which keywords will be embedded in a processed file: all the keywords or only the ones that are related to specific keyword libraries.
Improved Tiff handling
Capture One 9.1 now works much stable and better with Tiff files saved with Layers and Alphas in apps like PhotoShop or Affinity Photo.
It’s a great update which many photographers were waiting for.
There is only one important thing to note: after processing with adjustments made in Capture One, Tiff will lose all its layers structure.
Anyway, it’s a huge step forward for application compatibility.
Rotatable Live View
For Live View mode, Orientation feature is now available. A quite useful tool for some tethered shooting cases.
Next Capture Adjustments tool update
Next Capture Adjustments tool was also lightly redesigned and has got some new options like Metadata and Orientation.
XF camera system only updates
Capture One 9.1 now supports XF camera Tags and has a bunch of tools for organizing sequences of tagged files.
Filters, Naming Tokens, Dynamic Location Tokens and some other tools can now be used for work with XF camera tagged files.
If you’re already using the new XF camera tools like Time Lapse, HDR or Focus stacking – it’s a really helpful update.
New Cameras Support
• Olympus Pen-F
• Olympus Om-D E-M10 Mk II
• Sony A68
• Sony a6300
• Sony RX1R Mk II (revised implementation)
• Ricoh GR II
• Pentax K-S2
• Panasonic G7
• Leica SL
New Lenses Support
• Nikon 24-70E VR
• Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED
• Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM (Nikon mount)
• Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | S (Canon mount)
• Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35 mm F2.8 ZA
• Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24 mm F1.8 ZA
• Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.
• Sony E PZ 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS (SEL1650) (improved profile)
• Sony FE 24-70 2.8 GM (SEL2470GM)
• Sony FE 85 1.4 GM
Bug fixes: Mac
• Browsing images in the importer window causes setting files to be saved on disk
• Keywords are added when browsing folders or canceling an import operation
• Import and Pack as EIP: imported images show a “1” at the end of their filenames
• Library: various bugs (performance, crashes, Smart Album handling)
• Camera tool: ISO string badly clipped if too long
• Brush size slider does not respond correctly to mouse scrolls
• Live View: pixelated images appear on some occasions
• Color Editor and Curve tool: undo not always working as expected
• Curve tool: cannot edit curves when loupe tool is selected
• Curve tool: pickers do not always get selected when clicked
• Color Editor: color patches are missing in Express (for Sony)
• Keystone: copy/apply buttons always disabled
• UI cosmetics (especially Keywords and Keyword Library tools)
• Fixed a bug in handling styles for Next Capture Adjustments
• Fixed an orientation bug for Next Capture Adjustments
• Library tool performance and minor fixes
• Fixed crash using IQ3 100MP and FireWire
• Keyword Library handling minor fixes
• Fixed moire persistency for layers
• Fixed an issue for naming duplicate files while batch renaming
• Library tool: improve overall UI performance
• Library tool: a number of cosmetic bugs (display of icons, expand/collapse)
• Next Capture Adjustments: fix handling of Rating and Color Tag
• Next Capture Adjustments: fix handling of Crop when Orientation is set to nondefault values
• Filters tool: properly add new filters to a group
• Fix reset of lens distortion when resetting a Variant
• Color Editor: fixed undo/redo
• Mask drawing: fixed a flickering issue appearing when drawing masks after an undo operation
• ICC profile menu: fix a bug causing some custom profiles not to be shown in the menu
• Fixed a crash when removing a filter
• Fixed a crash in the Curves tool when dragging and entering keyboard shortcuts
• Fixed a crash when clicking in empty areas of the Keyboard Shortcut Editor
• Fixed a crash when creating/moving collections the Library tool.
• Fixed a crash when processing LCC files
Bug fixes: Win
• Various crashes and hangs
• Search only allowed a single search string
• Session can not be opened over UNC path
• Importing a catalog does not include all images
• IPTC getting garbled when using Chinese characters
• Main window hangs when trying to recursively import many folders
• “Sort selected by Color Tag” does not work.
• Active Filters in the Filters tool would remain active even if hidden
• Film Grain type drop down disabled when Capture One starts
• Pink color Tag improperly mapped to Photoshop urgency
• When replacing a style, Capture One deletes the style without saving a new file with the changes.
• Sorting of Keywords in the Keyword Library tool is case sensitive
• Cannot delete some Keywords from session in Keyword Library
• Error Exporting Keyword Library to paths containing exotic characters
• Camera tool: pending count slow/not updating when shooting continuously
• Selection points on image will move when panning the image
• Linked Zoom using Zoom slider in Multi-view mode not working
• When creating a Mask from the Color Editor it does not get a selection point
• Local Adjustments: Passing over a hidden selection point changes the cursor
• Temporary file is not deleted when importing a catalog inside another catalog
• Cannot stack built-in Curve presets
• Difficult to Crop from bottom of image
• Variant collapsed state affects initial filters counts
• Camera tool: +/- ISO tab changes size
• All Images not updating after image is processed
• Import of a Session into a Catalog doesn’t create a collection under “Recent Imports”
• Next Capture Adjustments – only one Style can be added
• Fixed bug where it was sometimes not possible to remove a Keyword from a Session Keyword Library
• ICC-Profile: naming changes when setting it to default for camera
• Dragging a Session favorite to Albums does not create an Album
• Color Editor: Reset selected tab removes all presets regardless of tab
• Improved global modification of Keywords
• Crop tool does not respond correctly if Next Capture Adjustments is set away from default
• Vignette tool does not reset when Amount title is click-hold
• ‘Select by Sequence ID’ works as ‘Select All’ if no ID
• Vignetting tool is disabled by default
• Variants not persisted when making Keyword Library changes in another Collection
Save 10% on Capture One 10
For all the readers of CaptureOneBlog a 10% discount for Capture One Pro 10 license is now available.
It works equally well for a full version of Capture One Pro 10 or an upgrade.
How it works?
1) At Phase One on-line store click “Add to cart” to purchase Capture One Pro 10.
2) At Check Out page enter this special code AMBC1BLOG, select “USE VOUCHER” and you will immediately gain 10% discount.
Author – Alexander Svet
Alexander Svet – professional photographer and specialist in image processing.
Phase One Certified Professional and Capture One trainer.
Capture One Film Styles Extended Set
Extended Set contains 100 new film styles, 25 grain emulation styles and uses amazing features of Capture One.
In Extended Set you will find a lot of completely new film styles like Kodak Gold and Royal Gold, Kodak Ektar, Agfa Vista, Rollei Retro, Kodak Max and UltraMax.
Also we’ve added new variants for existing styles and by your many requests we’ve created artistic variations of styles for the most popular films.
For Extended Set we’ve developed 25 universal grain styles with different types of film grain. It works equally great with our original styles from the First Set.
We’ve also created unique film grain emulation for each of the 30 B&W styles.
«Film Styles Extended Set» – is a great creativity tool for experienced photographers and is the final part that completes film styles collection for Capture One.
Film Styles Extended Set is fully compatible with new Capture One Pro 9.